Pat the Dog Playwright Centre is thrilled to introduce the Predella Project, a rigorous exercise in creative development. We are currently accepting applications for a small number of spots in the first year’s program.
The Predella Project is an experiment in developing excellent writers. The project is designed to encourage highly effective, individually tailored writing practices. Working within a community of writers in the tradition of Virginia Woolf’s Bloomsbury Group and Ralph Waldo Emerson’s Saturday Club, participants will engage in rigorous, exploratory creative practice. By combining social practice and work practice, Predella seeks to make participants into the best artists they can be and develop practices any artist can use.
For this project we are looking for skilled and rapaciously passionate writers. For our purposes, boldness, discipline, commitment and sense of humour trump experience. We are looking for writers, at any stage in their careers, from emerging to established, who work in any form. Participants must:
- Reside in the Waterloo Region or be willing to travel to the Region weekly
- Be able to make a significant time commitment to their own writing during the course of the program
- Be committed to regular writing and to their work as writers
- Be open to experimenting with their writing routines and practices
- Be open to experimenting with form
Participating in the project will involve a six-month commitment to vigorous, disciplined experimentation in the practice.
To apply, submit a writing sample (5-25 pages), personal statement (350-1200 words) and a cover sheet by December 15, 2010.
The cover sheet should include:
- Your name
- Phone number
- Email address
- List of works included in writing sample
In writing your personal statement, please consider the following questions:
- Why would you like to participate in the Predella Project?
- What are your goals as a writer? How do you approach achieving these goals?
- What experiences have shaped you as a writer?
- What are your writing strengths? What are your writing weaknesses?
- What special contribution do you feel you would you make to the group’s collaborative work?
- What else would you like us to know about you or your work?
The writing sample, which must not include your name or identifying features, must:
- Include a header on each page with the name of the work
- Be paginated
- Contain at least two full or partial works
- Be between 5 and 25 pages long in total
- Show your strengths and give a sense of your interests as a writer
Submissions may be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by standard mail to:
The Predella Project
c/o Pat the Dog Playwright Centre
The Button Factory
25 Regina Street South
Waterloo, ON N2J 1R8
More information can be found under Predella Project FAQs.