This year the work at PlaySmelter was so expansive we split our Festival in two parts. Join us this month as we hold our first Conversation on Creation Conference. Contact Angela for more information and to reserve a spot. Watch our Twitter and Facebook page for special added-extras. Founded in 2012, the PlaySmelter Festival of New Works by Northern Theatre Creators is the only new annual new works festival in Northern Ontario.
Pat the Dog Theatre Creation presents
A Conversation on Creation
October 22 -24, 2015
St. Andrew’s Place
111 Larch Street
Sudbury, ON P3E 4T5
Schedule of Events:
Thursday, October 22: Staged Reading Presentation 7:00 p.m.
Rearview by Gilles Poulin-Denis.
Directed by Geneviève Pineault.
Translation dramaturgy by Maureen Labonté.
Friday, October 23: Staged Reading Presentation 7:00 p.m.
The Desire Path Matthew Heiti.
Directed by Bob White.
Dramaturgy by Lisa O’Connell.
Saturday, October 24: Conversation on Creation: A day-long Conference on Theatre Creation in Northern Ontario 9:00a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Capturing the Stories of Northern Ontario: Who speaks for the North? What are the challenges getting our stories to the audience? Are we Outliers, and if so, what does that mean in our creation? Fresh from their workshops and workshop presentations, playwrights Gilles Poulin-Denis and Matthew Heiti join translation dramaturge Maureen Labonté in conversation. Joining them will be TNO’s artistic director Geneviève Pineault, director of Poulin-Denis’ workshop Rearview.
- New Northern Generation: Dr. Ian McLennan and Jenny Hazelton speak about their adventures working in Translation Abroad:Using Theatre as a Learning Tool in Taiwan and Hong Kong.
- What’s Been, What Is and What’s Next: A conversation concerning trends in creation in Canada and beyond our boarders with Bob White, Director of New Plays, Stratford Festival.
- Next Steps: What’s on Your Mind? What do we need? Call for Action?
Saturday, October 24: Le Long Voyage De Pierre-Guy by Philippe Soldevila
Théâtre du Nouvel-Ontario English surtitles. 8:00 p.m.
- Discounted Tickets – Limited Seats Available. Contact Angela to reserve your seat today.
- Shuttles available from Downtown at the Clarion Hotel starting at 7:15 p.m.